Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Yogurt poached shrimp and green rice...

When anyone asks me what my favorite comfort food is, I have to say that I really do not have one. There is nothing that I gravitate to more than another. I suppose it could be my spaghetti, because I love the sauce...or my mother's "mexican-rice" from my childhood (mmmm...that is pretty close to a favorite now that I think about it...) But I guess when I think of comfort food, I think of something warm, and light, yet hearty at the same time. Something fresh, and earthy--something piled into a bowl that you can eat in an uncomplicated way.
This dish may come very close to a comfort food category. It was a Monday night improv dish--this one was. Oh, I knew I wanted to use shrimp, and brown rice, and the fresh peas from my garden tonight--but I wasn't quite sure what to make. Now, I am one to sit and read cookbooks like novels...pouring over the pictures, recipes, and techniques for hours to gain inspiration. But tonight, I was on my own, I wanted nothing to inspire me except my ingredients. This is what I came up with. Hope you try it and like it.

Yogurt Poached Shrimp
1 lb. raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp
1 six or eight ounce container of plain yogurt
1/4 cup fresh dill
2 tbs water
3 gloves of garlic, minced
Half a jalepeno chili-diced (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let sit while you prepare the ingredients for the rice.



Green Rice | Green means nutrition. The more, the better. The name comes from all the green components that give this rice vibrancy and freshness. Make your favorite rice (brown or white). I cooked a cup of brown, then, when cooked and still hot, toss in a bunch of green things! This is about using what you have and what you like. Here is what I added:
  • Parsley (1/2 cup)
  • Leeks (about 1/4 cup)
  • Snap peas sliced (about 1/2 cup)
  • Fresh peas (1/4 cup)--or use frozen thawed
  • Onion flower (or use scallion) 2 tbs.
  • 1 tbs parmesean cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
While rice is cooking, pour shrimp and yogurt into a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the shrimp is just cooked through (it is important not to overcook shrimp). Pour shrimp through a strainer to drain the liquid, but capture the garlic and chili. Set aside.

Stir all the "green' ingredients you chose into the warm rice. Stir in 1 tbs parmesean cheese to add a bit of richness. Finally, add the shrimp on top.

1 comment: