Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fish taco remix–Mediterranean style...


In my small circle of the world I am known for my fish tacos. And since I have a passion for cooking traditional, regional, international food (did you get all that), my fish tacos are just that–traditional. No departure from the norm for me when it comes to my fish tacos...well, not normally anyway. Well, these tacos are not them (my traditional ones, that is). Tonight, I threw norm out the window–I wanted something different. So, since wild caught, domestic cod was on sale at my local grocery, and since my aunt and uncle supplied me fresh cherry tomatoes from their garden, and I had olives in the fridge...tapenade anyone? For those in the know, that is an olive 'relish' so-to-speak, roughly chopped into a salsa like topping. In the Mediterranean, mild white fish is often served with a the pungeant, briny, salty-goodness of olives and the like.
These fish tacos are fast, easy, fresh, and full of nutrition. What else should a weeknight dinner be-I ask! Nothing else, I say.
Confession: These were so good–I licked the plate. Thank goodness only the dogs were watching :O)


Tapenade
  • 1 cup olives, pitted (any kind, green, black or mix)
  • 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • A few leaves of rosemary, fresh
  • 1 tsp. vinegar (any kind), or lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. chili flake (for heat, optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients except tomatoes into a mini chopper or food processor, and pulse until chopped into a chunky salsa consistency. Stir halved tomatoes in with a spoon. Set aside.

Fish
1 lb. mild white fish, your favorite kind
1 lemon
Cook your preferred way; bake, steam, or poach. Then flake. Squeeze flaked fish with juice of the lemon while hot. Set aside.

Taco Components
Crunchy taco shells (gluten free variety)
Lettuce leaves
Greek style plain yogurt, or regular plain yogurt

Assembly
Into a taco shell place place a piece of lettuce, spread or spoon in some yogurt, then stuff the shell with fish. Spoon the tapenade on top.

1 comment:

  1. Fish... how do YOU cook fish? The only way I can cook it and have it edible is to buy it in a cute little patty in a box. I can not deal with a piece of fish that is sitting in the middle of 'milky' watery .... stuff. Got any appetizing methods up your sleeve?
    GT from MA

    ReplyDelete