If you love the Pei-Wei and Chang's version of these, you will love this one you can make at home. We have taken to wrapping a lot of our meals lately. But instead of using tortillas, or wraps, or other things, I have gravitated towards lettuce. Our farmshare delivers large, wonderful heads of big crisp, tender lettuces. I really like using it––around a burger, lunchmeat, or even sliced thin veggies, it has a satisfying crunch, and I really do not miss the carbohydrate of the tortilla or wrap. Try these for dinner. Although if bun you must, just make these into a burger pattie, and serve on a bun with the sauce--equally as yum! Outta the way Pei-Wei!!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb ground chicken (or other lean meat)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp GF tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- .75oz anchovies (or 1 tbs paste) (trust me, this adds a rich depth of flavor--plus nutrition!)
- 1 tsp hot chili paste, like a Sambal or a Sriracha
- ¼ cup GF bread crumbs (use 1 slice of bread in a food processor, or substitute 1 tbs GF flour in lieu of crumb)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs warm tap water
- 1 tsp hot chili paste
Serve the meatballs in the lettuce with raw, fresh sliced veggies. We has carrots, snap peas and cabbage so we used that. You could use radish, onion, add herbs, like cilantro...play with it!