Search This Blog

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gluten free chocolate creme sandwhich cookies...

Let's call these "square-e-os". Yes, the chocolate crème sandwich cookie of your youth (and pre-gluten free adult hood too, I presume). Well, this is it—just gluten free. A delightfully thin, and satisfyingly crisp, rich chocolate wafer, filled with a thick, creamy, and sweet buttercrème filling (I think its better than the real-o one.)
Now, I am typically a fan of the oh-so-perfect, symmetrical, out of a magazine look of a fabulous cookie, and often, I bake that way because I love how those things look. But I left these cookies square and quite rustic because; I believe when taking the time to make gluten free food, sometimes there are steps that need to be cut in order to make them more accessible, and less time consuming to make. Rolling and cutting round little round shapes for these, while beautiful, was something I felt could be sacrificed in the name of getting-to-eat-the-cookies-faster.

I made these first a few weeks ago to try them out, and made them again today to blog about. So, my husband today, was oblivious to the world with his head in his work, I barely--and usually didn’t--even get the obligatory "Yes dear" as I chattered away while I baked. He didn’t even know what I was baking today. Then amazingly, as I head out the back double French doors to the garden, my hands full of plates of cookies, and my camera, he appears suddenly, toddling behind me less than a foot, with a happy and inquisitive look on his face..."Oooh, cookies?....are those for us?" It's amazing what food does.
So he awaits patiently, as always, while I photograph the goodies and then we can indulge. So as we are sitting enjoying the rich little treats, we get inspired! How is this for inspiration?—looking over at the herb patch we think, “How about a mint leaf inside the cookie?” So, I walked over, plucked two little peppermint leaves from the plant, and tucked them inside. It was amazing! Transformed in a second into chocolate-mint crème cookies. I suggest you make these with a mint leaf tucked inside. This little touch will take these once rustic from the back porch impromptu treats, to something you could serve at an elegant dinner or brunch. Maybe elegant and picture perfect doesn’t have to be little round cookies after all. Enjoy.

 

 Cookies Wafers
  • 8 tablespoons (1stick) butter, room temperature
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup cocoa powder
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Tom Sawyer gluten free flour (or your GF flour blend)
  • More GF flour for rolling out
Classic Buttercreme
  • 2 sticks butter, soft
  • 2 tbs ice-water
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • ¼ tsp almond extract
For Buttercream
Blend butter and sugar in a mixer. Add almond extract, then drizzle in cold water until the right consistency. Mix on high till fluffy. Set aside.

 
Cookie Directions

Heat the oven to 350°. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg, and continue mixing until well combined. Add in cocoa powder and flour. Mix until combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Divide dough in half. Taking two sheets of parchment paper, generously flour the sticky dough and roll it out into a thin sheet between the two pieces of parchment. Roll to 1/8-inch thin. Peel back top layer of the parchment. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares, about 1.5x1.5 inches, leaving them in place. Transfer the parchment with dough to a cookie sheet. repeat steps for 2nd batch of dough.
Bake the cookies until you can smell them, about 12 minutes. As soon as they come out, while still hot, using the pizza cutter, retrace your cuts into the hot soft dough. The cookies crisp as they cool. Let them cool on the sheet. When completely cool, spread the buttercreme inbetween two squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment