Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Gluten Free buttermilk sage biscuits...




My sage this week has been warmed by the sun and is very happy. This calls for biscuits. So this morning, I awoke and decided that is what I would make. I fear no scratch–I say! No box or mix here (if you know me by now).
Scratch biscuits, albeit intimidating to many, are actually quite simple. I mean, after all, pioneer women made them three times a day! I could do it at least once (in a while).
In fact, they lend themselves extremely well to spontaneity. How? Well, they use cold butter, so there is no need to preplan and soften butter on the counter for hours. They use cold milk, and most any milk works, buttermilk, cream, half-n-half, 2%. Plus they have just a few ingredients!

These come together in about 8 minutes, then into a hot oven for 20 minutes. And you have warm, homemade biscuits. Get out the jam!

I presented one to my husband, and to quote his culinary commentary as he took a bite, “Mmmm, light-and fluffy (pause and chew), mmmm, these taste like sage, (pause and chew), mmmm, and they are crispy on top” (another bite and chew, chew, chew). So, I think he likes them.

Really, these are more simple than you think. Mine involve a little history–my grandmother’s biscuit cutter, and grandmother’s sister’s rolling pin, from the family farm back east. I like it when things in the kitchen happen with a little history involved.



It goes like this: (I recommend making a double batch.)

Makes about 6-8 good sized biscuits.
  • 2 cups Tom Sawyer GF flour
    (I have only used Tom’s and get these best results. Try your own GF flour and tell me how they turn out).
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh sage
  • 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into very small pieces
  • 1 cup buttermilk (or try milk, or cream, or half-n-half).


 Preheat oven to 400°. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, sage, and salt. Add the small diced butter and let the mixer run to cut the butter into the flour. The butter should be in smaller than pea sized pieces. Add buttermilk and blend until just combined. Place dough onto a cool surface and pat together all the dry crumbs to bring the dough together…but don’t over work it.

 Cut into biscuits. You can also just shape a square and cut square biscuits too. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment