Don't fear, this is not your daunting 40-minute risotto. Oh, no—this is your one pot, 15-minutes risotto, and who doesn't have fifteen minutes?
This is a great dish for vegetarian night at your house, or, if those don't occur at your house, add diced leftover chicken or meat, or shimp to this at the end (also great with scallops!)
This dish is delicious. The risotto is creamy, so you don't miss the butter and cream a traditional recipe has. The goat cheese add a delicious tang, and richness, so you still feel satisfied without any meat in the dish. Plus goat cheese is a healthy cheese, you can feel good about it! The squash retains just enough bite to be satisfying, but melts away as you eat it. And sage, well that just is fall, isn't it?
Here is how it goes:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 2 cups or so)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbs fresh sage (or 1 tbs of dried)
- 4 oz. of goat cheese*
- 2 tbs of evaporated milk (or regular milk, or soy or rice milk, use what you have.)
- 1.5 cups of rice (use a short cooking rice, like Jasmine)
- 3 cups liquid (this can be broth, water, or combo).
- Salt and pepper
*If going dairy-free, omit goat cheese, but add 1 tbs white vinegar to add the tangy-roundness it provides.