Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Gluten free chocolate granola...

I have noticed lately, that lots of cereal companies are adding chocolate to their morning cereals--Special K, Cherrios, Chex. And why not? Its delicious, and as you know, chocolate is proven to be a powerful antioxident. Although, not in the milk-chocolate-Easter-rabbit-M&Ms-medium.
Growing up, our house was a Cherrios- or Kix-only home because my mother didn't believe in sugared cereals. So once in a great while, with a coupon-and if they were on sale, we enjoyed them.
When I became an adult, on my own money and grocery budget, I finally fully understood my mother's reasons for not buying those cereals..."cereal is how much for that little box??" Even more so now when one has to buy a gluten free cereal! So, I make my own cereal. But I want it to be good cereal for goodness sakes!
Well, I have been adding pure cocoa powder to lots of things in my home for a good while now to add antioxident punch for the goal of adding intent to my food.  Pure cocoa powder is the best. Backing down the line to the prepared chocolates, the higher percent of "cacao" is better. Bars of 85%, 70%--and so on.

And, if you know my granola recipe, then you know why I like it this recipe for all its intentional ingredients and goodness. I'll admit, it has a kitchen sink's worth of ingredients, and sometimes even I want a less complex version to whip together.

I think this is it. When i made my first batch, and ate it with some vanilla soy milk, the sweetness of the milk made it taste just like a childhood bowl of the coveted and rare Cocoa Crispies or Cocoa Puffs from my youth. This is so good, and so good for you, make a double batch and keep it in the kitchen. Eat it for breakfast, by the handful, or on ice cream!


Recipe:
Chocolate Granola Cereal Double Batch. This recipe can be halved.

  • 2 tbs molasses
  • 4 tbs oil (any kind, nut oils add Omega-3s if you have them–walnut, almond, or hazelnut)
  • 2 tbs of olive oil (one for each pan)
  • 3/4 cup not packed brown sugar
  • 1 tbs cinnamon
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 5 egg whites
  • 1 tsp scant kosher salt
  • 1 cup of flax seed meal
  • ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
  • 6 cups GF rolled oats
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Mix molasses, 4 tbs oil, brown sugar, egg whites, cinnamon, cocoa powder, flax meal, and salt. Blend well. Fold in oats and coconut. Line two baking sheets with foil, shiny side up. Spread 1 tbs olive oil on each pan on the foil covering all of the foil well.

Spread oats mixture flat and evenly on baking sheet (divide mixture between the two sheets) and bake for 10 minutes. At 10 minutes remove pans from oven, leave oven on.

Turn the granola, and separate into chunks. Return pan to oven and bake another 10 minutes. Let cool completely before packing into jars or a container.

No comments:

Post a Comment