Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fluffy gluten free pancakes...


If there is one thing I cannot do it’s pancakes. I know-I know…Pancakes? Really! But they are so simple--you argue. Are they? I mean its like baking a bunch of small cakes on top of the stove…there is dexterity of wrist involved to make ‘the flip’ happen just at the right time and place, there is space planning involved so that they do not run together…I could go on.
So, even though I am well versed in the kitchen, pancakes have always eluded me. They have been the bane of my culinary existence my whole life. Just two weeks ago, another failed attempt, and my sweet husband still gobbled them up (bless his heart).

I must say, I’m not one who feels a need to overcome with any triumph my failures-I simply accept…and make waffles. But this morning, my husband said “Let’s make pancakes.” I gulped, then took a deep breath and went for the cookbook.

To my surprise, this mornings result was wonderful, only by divine inspiration (I’m positive). Because I misread the recipe (that I know by heart) and added the wrong ingredient. So I tried to correct it with adding the right ingredient, and voila! Victory-sweet, fluffy, victory.


This cook up with a crisp crust and pillowy middle. Makes about 8—three inch pancakes.
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup flax seed meal (optional)
  • 1 cup Tom Sawyer gluten free flour (or your GF flour mix)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
Whisk the buttermilk, egg and oil. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. This batter will be thick, like a muffin batter almost. That is ok, it makes a thick, fluffy pancake. Cooking on a flat top griddle is easiest. Cook them on medium—or just over medium, it goes slower, however this allows the fluffy centers to cook through. Spoon large dollops of batter in a lightly buttered griddle and quickly spread it out a bit. Keep them warm in a 150-degree oven while you make up the rest.

We had 6 fresh strawberries in the garden today, so we simply sliced them and added 1 tbs sugar and stirred them together. That is all fresh strawberries need. Let it sit for 10-minutes and you get this amazing, syrupy wonder! Put these on top, and serve with my syrup recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment