Here was my result—these really let you experience a true cinnamon bun experience like you remember (from before your gf-days).
- 2 cups Tom Sawyer GF flour (I have only used Tom’s and get the best results. Try your own GF flour and tell me how they turn out).
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into very small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk (or try milk, or cream, or half-n-half)
- 3 tbs butter, melted
- ¼ cup cinnamon
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Chopped nuts like Pecans (up to 1/2 cup)
- Brown sugar (up to ¼ cup)
- Raisins (up to ¼ cup)
Preheat oven to 400°. In a mixer with the whisk attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the small diced butter and let the mixer run to cut the butter into the flour. The butter should be in smaller than pea sized pieces. Add buttermilk and blend until just combined. Dough should not be too ‘sticky’. If it is, add a little more flour until it isn’t sticky, but has come together.
Then, gingerly roll the dough up. The dough is tender and it may be more of a ‘fold’ but you get the idea.
While they bake, make the glaze.
- 4 tbs cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Drizzle in enough milk to make a thick glaze
Eat right from the oven while warm with glaze on top.