Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sweet potato fries...

When I first married, my husband announced that he was not one who enjoyed potatoes. "All potatoes?" I asked. "Anything potato," he states. Imagine my dismay when my newly found culinary mission (to faithfully feed and satisfy a new husband) now had one key kitchen ingredient taken completely off the table. I mean, the potato is a foodies blank slate. You can do so many things with it! One could make potatoes seven-days a week, seven-different ways and a person would not necessarily feel overwhelmed by potato.
So, what now?—I thought to myself. This meant no mashed potatoes, no scalloped potatoes, no au-gratin, or potato gratins,  no frittata’s with a potato crust, no roasted-salted baby potatoes with garlic aioli...
For goodness sake, I grow potatoes! I love them myself, so I knew I had to find a way to make them enjoyable for him. The husband did say that a crispy-thin French fry was–on occasion–acceptable to his palate. I ran with it.
I began to make baked shoestring French fries, in the oven, so they are healthy, because they are baked and not fried. Plus made with olive oil, the olive oil is good for you.
We eat them now with regularity, several times a month.
We have come a long way in our home in terms of the potato. I am even making these sweet potato fries, and they are eaten up with pleasure. They do not get super-crispy like a potato, but they do get crispy enough to be deemed, "Boy, these are good!"
These oven fries are delicious! Salty from the seasoning and sweet (from the potato naturally) they have a delicious flavor.

 
Serve with a chipotle mayo, or ketchup.

  •  3 medium sweet potatoes (I do not peel them, you can if you prefer not peel)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. dried or fresh parsley
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil to coat
  • Parmesan cheese (optional).

Heat oven to 425-degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, shiny-side up on the foil. Spread some olive oil on the foil to prevent sticking.
Slice the sweet potato into this strips, a bit thinner than a yellow pencil.
Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
Spread on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15-minutes, then using a spatula, turn them over. Bake for another 10-minutes, until they begin to brown.
Sprinkle with parmesean cheese at the end when they come out if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment