Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Roasted beets and goat cheese...

Ode to the beet. They are tough veggies--I mean, there are not that many ways to prepare and eat them, right? Basically, roast or pickle. I'm sure a few would disagree, but for the most part--that's kind of it.

I love to roast mine. Why? Because:
  • They are no-maintenance (no peeling, no stirring)
  • I can multi-task while I roast them
  • It transforms their flavor into something spectacular (1 husband convert into beet-lover to prove it)
I paired mine with goat cheese, a classic combination. Then drizzled a light vinaigrette over top.
Add a few lettuce leaves and you have vegetarian night! Your full belly at the end will not leave you missing meat. However, I admit--I seared an ahi-tuna and ate it with it. Ahi pairs great with it!

Ok, so not the prettiest plate...beets are kind of the hog of the veggie world, not pretty at all on the outside, messy (when you work with them), but the inside--oh so good! The beets are thick-almost meaty, yet sweet-but roasty-smoky. The salty seasoning compliments the sweetness inherent in the beet and the goat cheese tang cuts through it all. It is a well balanced dish.

Here's how:
Heat oven to 425-degrees. Line a small baking sheet with foil. Cut the tops off 6-8 beets (various sizes is fine). My beets from my farmshare are striped, use red or any color you find.
Place them on the sheet, drizzle a little olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and set your timer for 45-minutes (go pay the bills and walk the dogs--thats the multi-task part).
When they are done, they have begun to darken and carmelize, leaving a sticky sweetness on those areas. I leave the skins on, because I love them and they add nutrients. If you dont like skins, voila!--they literally slip right off. Then slice into rounds, crumble over goat cheese, drizzle your dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment