Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Gluten Free White Pizza...


My husband does not enjoy beans–of any kind. Not-"I don't enjoy them" in an "I'll eat them if they are in front of me " sort of way, but–week one of our marriage and "Please do not ever make beans, because I respectfully cannot ever eat them" sort of way.
Imagine my horror at one of the most versatile tools in my culinary tool belt being taken right off the table! So, now over 4 years in to my husband's biggest culinary evolution of his life (our marraige)–imagine my surprise when he announces–out of nowhere–at the dinner table last week that he thinks, "He would like to start learning to enjoy beans."
I was all in immediately. "Great! I'll make this..." I offer, "And, I can make that!" I say.
"Whoa-whoa..." he says, and thinks maybe we should ease into this. So, I'm easing.
But, my first attempt–I knew–had to be great. So this is what I came up with. It's more-flatbread-meets-hummus, than it really is pizza. But pizza being my husbands favorite food, I thought would be an appropriate vehicle for the first bean delivery.


Gluten Free White Pizza
  • 1 batch of pizza dough, or use a mix, or whatever you usually make
  • 1 small onion
  • 5 scallions
  • 1 15-oz. can of white beans (like a Great Northern or Canellini)
  • 1 jar of artichoke hearts (mine was 7.5-oz, use what you have that is close), drained
  • 1 4-oz log of goat cheese
  • 2 tbs grated Parmesean cheese
  • Salt and Pepper

Make your pizza dough. Place it in a 400-degree oven for 12-minutes to par-bake it before topping it.
Meanwhile, cook your onions in some olive oil, over medium heat in a skillet. Season with salt and pepper and let them cook until browned and carmelized. This will take about as long as the crust is par-baking.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, add the beans (drained) and goat cheese. Blend to combine until smooth. Add the artichokes, and blend again until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the crust from the oven, spread the bean mixture on the crust, and top with the onions. Sprinkle on the parm, and put back in for 10 minutes to finish backing the crust.

I served mine with barely dressed lettuce...and I think this one was a home run out of the gate.


Bonus recipe: The bean spread makes an incredible hummus, here's how.
Into a food processor place:
  • 1 15-oz. can of white beans (like a Great Northern or Canellini), drained
  • 1 jar of artichoke hearts (mine was 7.5-oz, use what you have that is close), drained
  • 1 4-oz log of goat cheese
  • 2 tbs grated Parmesean cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • Juice of one lemon
Pulse until smooth! Serve with vegetable sticks, GF pita chips, or tortilla chips. Or spread it on sandwhiches in place of mayo, or in wraps.

 

 

 

1 comment: