Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Gluten free rich, dark chocolate cake...

I made this cake last weekend for dinner guests. It is so fast to go together, and bakes up gorgeous. I cannot take credit for the recipe that goes to Donna Hay...more about her later. I made two modification, so I think I can say that I can take credit for converting it to gluten free. Well, not really that either, because Tom Saywer makes such an amazing GF flour, there is no conversion needed!

All that said...the cake is gorgeous! It comes out of the oven this molten, lava-like pool of crusty, yet moist rich-dark chocolatey-ness. Its tall, and soft and moist.
Really an exceptional cake.

So, more on Donna Hay. I love her books...all of them. I am on my way to owning them all (soon I hope, I get them used on Amazon's used books offerings.)
Many of her recipes are gluten free by nature, in that they just dont have any wheat component. But all her recipes convert so easy to GF. I have made many-many-many of her recipes and substituted in Tom Saywer (or you can use Bob's Red Mill mix) and they turn out beautifully. Her's are cookbooks any GF cook/baker should keep on hand to cook from all the time!
Rich Chocolate Cake (recipe inspired by Donna Hay's Chocolate Espresso Syrup Cake)
  • 10 oz chocolate chips (I suggest 60% ghiradelli)
  • 8 oz butter
  • 5 eggs
  • 4 tbs sugar
  • 1 cup Tom Sawyer GF flour (or your gluten free flour blend)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 315-degrees. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir till smooth. Set aside. Place eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and thick. Add the flour and baking powder to the egg mixture and gently fold through. Add the cocoa powder and chocolate and fold through again.
Line a 9-inch round cake tin (I used an 8-inch and got a taller cake) on the bottom with a round of waxed paper or parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 or until a tester comes out clean.

Donna serves this with an espresso syrup, and I agree, its great that way.
Syrup
  •  ¾ cup strong hot coffee
  • ¼ cup sugar.
Whisk the sugar into the hot coffee until the sugar is dissolved.

 When cake comes out of the oven, pour ½ of the espresso syrup over it while hot. Reserve the rest of the syrup for drizzling over the cake as you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment