Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gluten free breakfast on the go...


I am ever on a quest for a fast to-go breakfast bar that is all things–nutritious and meaningful in the “good-stuff-in” category, and equally transportable and delicious. This is for those mornings when you cannot find time for even a 5-minute breakfast, I grab this and I head out the door. I have tried many things. I don't feel I am at the perfect one yet. This one is close, but I think it is good enough to post. It's nutrition packed– with oats (whole grain), flax (omega-3), coconut (fiber, iron), cocoa (anti-oxidant), milk (calcium)..ok and the sugar…I cannot get past the high sugar in the sweetened condensed milk. However, I have not found a substitute that provides a good enough binding to bring it all together, so until I do, I will resolve myself to the other good things in this bar making up for the sugar. The calorie heft comes from the sweetened milk, and at over 300 calories, adding a piece of fruit to this will give you a full rounded breakfast and that is all you will need. This bar is chewy, chocolaty and a little sweet.


Makes 9 bars
2.5 cups uncooked rolled oats
1/2 cocoa powder
1 cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut
1/2 cup flax meal
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Combine all ingredients in a mixer. Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper on the bottom, and leaving two overhangs and 'handles' to lift out later.
Press the mixture into the pan using your fingers, wetting your fingers first helps tremendously.
Place it in a 250-degree oven for one hour. Remove and let sit for about 20-minutes. Then lift out and cut into 9 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment